Sunday, September 19, 2010

Challenges

Y'ALL. This is killing me. Posting barely once a week....pathetic. And frustrating. I MISS writing whatever insanity pops into my head. Instead, I'm chained to either a two-ton anthology or writing about the underlying racism in James Fenimore Cooper (you think I'm making this up...nope.).

I am resigned to the fact that my dear beloved blog may very well turn into a weekend activity, much as it pains me to say. My job with my study abroad program is going to start getting a bit heavier AND I'm going to start blogging once a week for my school. All of which I love and am very excited about...but MAN, does it leave precious little time for, um, life. I'll admit, it's all my fault.

But I do have something important to say other ohmygodfourenglishclassesatoncewhatwasIthinking. 

I know I've said it before, but I can't help it: I am constantly amazed at the effect Italy had on me. At this point in the semester, I would be in total freak-out mode. I would stay up til 3 because god forbid I don't read every single page assigned and put 100% into each and every paper, be it 2 pages or 12. 
But I'm not. I have my priorities, I take it week by week - sometimes day by day - and I breathe, and laugh, and sleep, and the world (or at least, my world) doesn't implode when I go to class a bit less than ideally prepared.

So...ready for what's been going on down here in Sparkle City (a.k.a, Spartanburg, South Carolina...if you really want to know, google it.)?

I think you are.

Daphne (my car) is legal to park (in the yellow or green lines only, of course).

Graduation GOWN. *insert mini-spaz moment of anxiety about graduating here*

Before I continue, let me explain. At Converse, if you enter on an odd year (like 2007, when I was a fresh[wo]man), you are a red devil.
Meet Richard the Red Devil mascot:
He's basically a hottie.
If you enter on an even year, you are a pink panther. You get picked by a junior (who is also a devil or panther) who is your Big Sister. It's NOT a sorority thing - we are a small women's college of about 1200. We are basically one big sorority anyway. So, for a week in September your Big Sis delivers you presents - in my case, all revolving around RED. There is SO MUCH red in my life now. And it's awesome.
During Formal Opening Convocation - big ceremony where our lovely President officially declares this school year open - seniors wear our gowns, our horns and tails (which our Big Sisters made for us), and of course...
Red Converse sneakers. (No, our school name has nothing to do with the shoe company. But come on...how could we not?)

Ok, got all that? ...yeah, it took my parents a while too. Don't worry about it.
The night before Opening Convocation, we paint the campus red (or pink...ick). It's pretty fabulous.






2011 - Little piece of heaven! (C'mon, say it with me: "aaaawwwwwww!")

Before we jazz up campus, we go to "Hats On", basically a party for the seniors where we wear crazy hats and eat cake. I'm sure there's some symbolism in there about "hats on" and getting ready to graduate....whatever. It's all about the cake.
Had to represent my homeland, right? [GOSOX.]

And as for eats, there's been plenty o' salads...
Most not as delicious as this one, which was from a deli across the street. It's called "the hippie." It has hummus and goat cheese. 'Nuf said.

And some banana oat bran. Of course. 
Some things never change.

And I can't forget about the best.frozen.yogurt.EVER.
Compliments of Blueberry Frog!
Pomegranate + plain tart with mangos + raspberries. Or, as I prefer to call it, heaven in a cardboard cup.

Good ole SC has been treating us to some gorgeous sunsets:
Find the symbolism yourself. This English major is off the clock.

Until tomorrow, of course. Chaucer, here I come.

~Namaste~

No comments:

Post a Comment