Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Blog's First Thanksgiving

*knockknockknock*

Did you hear that?

*KNOCKknockKNOCK*

What is that????

Why, it's Lulu, begging me to use the photos of Thanksgiving she still has in a blog post!

Sheesh. Even my camera gives me grief.

My blog's 1st Thanksgiving - this calls for celebration!

And hors d'ouvres, of course.

We had a very small gathering, which was really really nice - made for a very fun and relaxed holiday.

They brought crostini (in my honor :), which is just good toasted bread with a topping.
They made an herbed ricotta to go with!

 It had scallions, dill, and other herby goodness. I had to remind myself not to eat to much before the main event - but it was hard!
 They also brought these amazing spiced nuts - recipe to come! I know there was orange juice and maple syrup involved. They totally had that sweet-salty-crunchy thing going on. I was very happy to see these leftover the next day.

While the master carver was at his station...
with the ever-faithful turkey lurker never far from the action...
*must. get. turkey.*

...we brought out the side dishes.
 Some holiday greenery, simply steamed.

 Mom's spoonbread.
It's basically a cornbread souffle, and tasted like....um, cornbread! I really liked it, and Mom hadn't made it for Thanksgiving before. A welcome addition!

You know that dish that is so darn good that you wait all year long for, but know better than to request it earlier in the year because then it would lose some specialness? That is my mother's sweet potatoes for me. I don't remember a single year I haven't had them and loved every buttery, brown-sugary bite. She always makes one section without nuts for my brother and I - but in the last few years, I've come around to the bourbon-praline-pecan topping too. 
It's even better than it sounds.

[There were also mashed potatoes that apparently went unphotographed. The sweet potatoes usually distract me. You understand.]
  
And finally, the bird was ready.
And so was my stomach! 

 The evening was capped off with a classic:
Pumpkin pie, made from scratch. Oh yes, I was one happy foodie.

I'm all for going all out and making crazy experimental dishes, but there is something to be said for sticking to tradition. And sweet potatoes. Man, those things are good.

I will return soon to celebrate vacation, sleep, the end of my ridiculous semester...and food, of course.
 In the spirit of this post, I wish you all happy holidays...and good digestion!

~Namaste!

1 comment:

  1. Cute camera, cute dog (is that really a dog?) -not sure about the turkey carver though
    Need more posts over the holidays

    ReplyDelete